Typically, Black Forest cake consists of several layers of chocolate cake with whipped cream and cherries. This vegan version uses firm tofu and cashews for icing, and doesn’t have any dairy ingredients. Try this out, I guarantee this will be a treat!
- Whole wheat pastry flour – 1 cup
- All purpose flour – 1 cup
- Cocoa powder – ¾ cup
- Molasses / maple syrup – 1 cup
- Water – 1 cup
- Apple sauce – ½ cup
- Baking powder – 1 tablespoon
- Baking soda – 1 teaspoon
- Vanilla extract – 1 teaspoon
- Apple cider vinegar – 1 teaspoon
- Water – ½ cup
- Molasses/ maple syrup – ¼ cup
- Thin lemon sizes- 3
- Kirsch / syrup or juices from cherries- 1/3 cup
- Raw cashews – ¾ cup
- Water – ½ cup
- Maple syrup/sugar – ½ cup
- Firm tofu – 10 ounces
- Chocolate chip – ¾ cup
- Vanilla extract – 2 teaspoons
- Cherries (pitted) – 1 (10 oz jar with syrup)
1. Heat oven to 350° F. Grease 9 inch pan.
2. Combine water, molasses, apple sauce, vinegar, vanilla extract and whisk well.
3. In a large bowl, sift pastry flour, all purpose flour, cocoa, baking powder and baking soda together.
4. Add the dry ingredients to the wet mixture and gently fold in the batter. Make sure you mix in one direction. Make sure the ingredients are well combined.
5. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes.
6. Check if the center comes out clean, remove from oven and let the cake cool.
1. Combine water, molasses, and lemon pieces and bring it to boil. Let it boil for 3 minutes .Once the mixture cools, add cherry syrup. Set aside.
1. Blend cashews by adding water little by little until creamy.(the consistency should be creamy and not watery)
2. Stir in tofu and vanilla extract and blend well. Add sugar and blend again.(this is vanilla icing-if you prefer vanilla icing to
chocolate icing, reserve one cup of vanilla icing. Since I preferred chocolate icing, so I just reserved few tablespoons)
3. Melt chocolate chips in microwave and mix it with vanilla icing. Your chocolate icing is ready.
To Assemble Cake
1. Once the cake has cooled thoroughly, cut cake horizontally with a serrated knife to make three equal layers. Remove the top two layers and set aside.
2. On the bottom layer of the cake, sprinkle 2 tablespoons of syrup and spread chocolate icing evenly with a spatula.
3. Place the next layer of the cake and sprinkle 2 tablespoons of syrup and spread chocolate icing. Spread some cherries on the icing.
4. Place the top layer on cherries and sprinkle 2 more tablespoons of syrup . You could frost the top and sides with vanilla icing(which you had reserved). I preferred chocolate to vanilla, so I frosted with chocolate icing and dotted the top layer with vanilla icing to place the cherries.
5. The cake should be chilled for few hours before served.
1. If your frosting has running consistency, chill it for couple of hours before using.
2. Be careful in blending the cashews with water; try to reduce water as much as possible.
3. If you are not comfortable about cutting the cake into 3 horizontal pieces, bake the cakes in 3 different 9 inch pans, dividing the cake batter equally.
4. You could also use the store bought chocolate mix for cake.
I am sending this creamy, low fat, vegan version of black forest cake to Madhuram’s egg substituting event.